-->

Friday, April 20, 2012

Orchids n Herbs

Week 1
Before I left California, I had a Jade Pothos (a very hearty hanging houseplant) and a half-barrel planter on my patio with a variety of herbs.  The Jade did really well, mostly because it let me know when it needed water (it went limp) and when it had too much sun (brown spots).  That plant is probably thrilled to be living with my friend Eleanor now.  My herb planter always had some green in it, but I started out with too many plants bunched together and the rosemary killed off a lot of them (rosemary grows really fast).  It was my first time having potted herbs around, so it wasn’t too shocking that the oregano, marjoram and sage didn’t make it.  If you want hearty herbs to start with, I can tell you that both rosemary and chives do really well.  In California, you should be able to get a decent-sized Blue Tuscan Rosemary bush at a nursery – if you’re new at this, keep it in a big planter all by itself.  Eventually it will take up the whole thing.  I have no idea why the chives survived, but as long as I remembered to prune and water, it was a gorgeous green.  I can’t say how the chives tasted, because I abhor all things oniony, but I have some friends who said they were good (it is possibly they were lying to spare my feelings).

Now that I live in a far more humid climate, I’m hoping that my mistakes won’t completely cost me plants anymore.  So, in March it got nice and warm (though not humid) and I thought it was the perfect time to go get some plants for my new home.

Me n My Orchid
(more on herbs later...)

My brother gave me a pretty little white Phalaenopsis Orchid (our Trader Joe’s always has a variety of orchids - it’s my favorite part of the store), which I’ve had for a month now.  Mary (editor/contributor of all the LostGirls sites) told me recently that she’s had a lot of luck with orchids because they need so little care.  I didn’t tell her how many orchids I’ve killed.  It is just too sad.  She did point out that having plenty of light and a humid environment is important (that’s “easy” plant care for people who know what the hell they’re doing).    I pestered her for more information and here is her advice for those of you who are thinking of buying flowering plants.  Most flowering plants wouldn’t survive a week in my care, but if you follow Mary’s directions, you should be fine.


Mary Says:

Week 4
Start out with the easiest orchid of all, the Phalaenopsis (also called Butterfly Orchids). 
Orchids require a lot of indirect light, so an eastern or southern exposure in a big airy room would be good (Jess adds: I keep mine in an open room with a lot of natural light and sheer curtains).  Orchids love humidity, so you will want to place three or so together in their own pots and on a shallow dish with rocks in it, then put a little water in the bottom of the dish.  As the water evaporates, it raises the humidity –having the plants together increases it more.  If you don’t want to put them all in the same shallow dish, you can just put them in individual dishes next to each other (in the grouping of your choosing).  The water in the dish should not cover the rocks – you want them to act as a barrier so you’re adding humidity without leaving the plant in standing water. 

You will need to water your orchids weekly and thoroughly – by flooding the pot that the plant is in and letting it drain (Mary and Jess both do this in the sink).  Try to avoid getting water on the leaves (water the soil, not the plant).  If the leaves turn yellow, it means they’ve been over-watered, and you will need to allow them to dry out – water in two weeks instead of one. 

Feed them regular orchid food and remember: Weakly-Weekly.  Feed them a small amount of orchid food once a week during growing season.  During their dormat season, late fall through winter, do not feed them (Jess Says: They might turn into Gremlins).

Other than that, keep them away from heaters and especially air conditioners – or anything that dries the air out.

If you have further questions, we found this lovely site: Beautiful Orchids.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The LostGirls would love to hear what you have to say about it...however, we reserve the right to edit or delete comments which we find hateful, off-topic, offensive and/or possible spam, etc.