-->

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Herbal Update - Week 10 and Some Demands Not Yet Met

First off, because I'm so proud of myself, I want to show you how my herbs are doing.


Look how big they're getting!


I'm having to remove tons of pre-flowers (as I like to call them) from the basil.  Probably needs more pruning, though.  Looks a little lanky.




Coulda done without the stink bugs (not pictured, thankfully).  It's seriously magical how well these guys are doing.  Of course, it's not me.  We've had a lot of rain, the humidity has fully set in, and occasionally I actually remember to give them some Miracle Gro.  This is where we head off into other territory...oh wait, can't forget the Thornless Blackberry.


We may very well have a few berries by the end of summer.  Also, lots of spiders.  And the stink bugs will probably get to all the berries.  Must plant some lavender as companion plants.  And buy a bunch of it to dry and stick all over the house because I'm terrified of finding them inside (see below for what happens).

Oh, you're going to be out of town for a week?
That's cool, Roomie.  I'll just trap stink bugs under these bowls all over the house till you get home.
I have two current assignments for this blog.  The first is that I need to figure out why some people are against Miracle Gro.  If it is not something I should be using on plants I intend to eat, I should probably find out more about that and stop using it.  The arguments I'm hearing are: it's synthetic (there is "organic" Miracle Gro on the market, so that's confusing), it pollutes waterways (something about algal blooms) and it depletes the soil (it feeds the plants, not the soil).  More on that after much research and long conversations with my scientist father.

The second assignment is actually not one of my own making.  My friend Jessie has told me (on many occasions, sometimes only minutes apart) that I need to figure how to compost and then write about it.  Luckily, I have some articles that I kept from a while back on just that and I have quite a few friends on the West Coast who have been composting for years.  So, yeah, a couple things to look forward to in the future of The Black Thumb.  If you have any input on either of these assignments, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The LostGirls would love to hear what you have to say about it...however, we reserve the right to edit or delete comments which we find hateful, off-topic, offensive and/or possible spam, etc.